July 24, 2012

Beth Caverner Stitcher : Ferel Humors


 "There are primitive animal instincts lurking in our own depths, waiting for the chance to slide past a conscious moment."

"The sculptures I create focus on human psychology – stripped of context and rationalization, and articulated through animal and human forms. This body of work was developed in an effort to understand how my own desires, fears, and insecurities have shaped my sexuality.


For this work, I collected stories from individuals who were willing to confide their most intimate experiences relating to gender identity, fantasies, fetishes, and abuses. I wanted to understand how these complex private experiences haunt our public personas.


The portraits created for this exhibition found their genesis in these shared personal accounts; I took their stories in and merged them with my own. The figures which have emerged use their animal body language in an effort to communicate their human natures:  coy, desperate, lonely, and full of both fear and an unspoken longing." - Artist statement for the series 'A Modest Proposal'

Images from the series, 'A Modest Proposal'


A Necessary Delusion, 2006

Do I dare eat a peach?, 2006

The Fallacy of Virtuosity, 2006

         The Voyeurs, 2006
_________________________________________________

From the series, 'On Tender Hooks'
A Rush of Blood to the Head, 2009
"Following from my work on the exhibition, “A Modest Proposal,” in which I explored aspects of human sexuality, I still felt that I was struggling to understand and relate to certain aspects of gender identity.  I remembered reading an account of an antiquated view of homosexuality as being described as ‘aberrant and unnatural behavior caused by a rush of blood to the head.’  The phrase ‘a rush of blood to the head’ was also used as a legal defense to describe ‘a crime of passion’ for which the person could not be held accountable.  It made me think about the desire to ascribe anything other than ‘accepted normal behavior’ as a fault of one’s own irrational body…an excess of blood in the body. " 


All Text From the Artists Website: www.followtheblackrabbit.com

 A Second Kind of Loneliness, 2009
Every 8 seconds, a breath is released  


   from the goat's mouth, causing the 
 pinwheel to spin slowly.



Humiliation by Design, 2009
The handle to the right  
   turns the cast iron gears, 
 slowly rotating the figure
 on the center shaft  


No comments:

Post a Comment